The standard setup described on postgresql.org should work for linux or
windows <http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows.html> (mac is a
different story)

I'm currently in the process of trying to keep a rails app working with
mysql and postgres, in an effort to stay db agnostic, 'heroku ready', and
because I like postgres more for lots of other reasons..

If you are converting an existing app, here are some things I've run into::

   1. Case sensitivity (mysql is case insensitive, postgres is not)
   2. convert to sql standard functions: use coalesce instead of IFNULL,
   case instead of if
   3. Mysql lets you do 'limit 10,10' in postgres you have to do 'limit 10
   offset 10'
   4. string escape syntax is different

there are similar client/gui tools for postgres. (though, I've recently gone
back to using Netbeans built in query tool, as it saves all my recent
queries and just makes life easier)

Google for: rails ~move mysql to postgres   to see what others have said
about general differences (also, keep searching through this heroku list, as
many people have gone through this)

One of the better write ups comes from the guys over at the very awesome
real estate site www.redfin.com
     http://blog.redfin.com/devblog/2008/02/mysql_to_postgres.html

<http://blog.redfin.com/devblog/2008/02/mysql_to_postgres.html>Best of luck,
and welcome to Heroku!

-John

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:56 AM, Jamie Lawrence <hopel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to move my development from mysql to postgres so I can better
> match the heroku environment.
>
> Does anyone have a good tutorial/stack to start with postgres on
> ubuntu and windows? I only ask because sometimes the official packages
> are not the easiest way to get a database setup and postgres is
> frequently described as harder than mysql to setup.
>
> I also use the MySQL Query Browser for testing/introspection. Is there
> a similar tool available for postgres?
>
> Thanks!
>
>  Jamie

-John