so I went back to my project and tried to push it out to heroku again

Here's what I did, (not sure which step made it work exactly)
1. made sure my .gems file had these
    haml --version '>= 2.2.0'
    chriseppstein-compass --version '>= 0.8.7' --source gems.github.com
2. removed .gitignore entries for tmp/ and public/stylesheets/compiled
3. made sure all stylesheets were compiled and in the right dir
4. added this to config/initializers/compass.rb
    Sass::Plugin.options[:never_update] = true

So  I figured this should take care of it all, and I should be ready to
rock. I  mean I did everything I found on every blog, right?

Wrong, still not working.  Why?  Cuz I'm an idiot, that's why.
At some point I must have decided to get all fancy and tell rails to cache
multiple css files together, and i added this (in haml syntax)
   = stylesheet_link_tag 'formtastic', 'formtastic_changes.css' ,  :cache =>
'formtastic_base'

well heroku doesn't like that, so I took off the cache part (plus I'm not
sure that it really makes sense to combine those two files as they are
intended to be loaded separately, and in a particular order)

now I have a version of my app deployed and working. Under this current
plan, I'd have to make sure that I am pushing all of the compiled css files,
which I'm not keen on, but we'll try it out and see.

but it was worth the 20 mins to give it another try

--
-John