I've been struggling with how to get a large dataset onto my Heroku
application (see my thread here:
http://groups.google.com/group/heroku/browse_thread/thread/2ef6fd99a5af37fe).
An approach I had thought would be good would be generating a local
bundle of some type and uploading it to Heroku where it could be
reanimated, However, I'm not sure if this is possible.

This got me thinking about how if that is not possible, whether these
bundles could be used for backup at all. They are the advertised
preferred way of backing up a Heroku application: http://docs.heroku.com/backups

However, in the documentation, even while it is stated that for best
backup procedures data should be backed up in the form of downloading
the bundles, there is no mention of how to restore a bundle that has
been downloaded.  Under the documentation for Heroku's command-line
tool, the only bundle commands listed are: bundles, bundles:capture,
bundles:download, bundles:animate, and bundles:destroy.

How can I re-upload a bundle to an application and then set the
application to overwrite its database with the bundle's information?
Is it possible?

And if it is possible, is it possible for me to locally create a
bundle in order to use this to upload a large multi-gig database to my
application?