Hrm, I seem to have lost the first few repies.

1) you can see an archive of all issues here: http://status.heroku.com/past
2) Sigh, I had a long long response here.  Short version - we've got
advanced monitoring.  The pagers went off before any user knew about the
problem.  We were working on it within 2 m