Also, the new relic add-on will give you alerts for failures and changes in
response times.

While this isn't the same as url monitoring, it does provide some very
critical diagnostic info, including your heroku queue depth (which is very
cool), and its free!

I wonder if anyone has had success with any of the free url monitoring sites
out there?
I found this one
(intervista)<http://www.internetvista.com/product-free-monitoring.htm>which
will ping your site every 60mins from different locations, for free.
(though it looks like they want you to put an image banner on the page you
want them to monitor, which could just be some other unimportant page you
have)

I was also wondering if anyone has used a url monitoring site like this to
trigger a 'cron-like' server process? (Have the site monitor hit a specific
url that will trigger some task or process that you need.)

It seems a little convoluted, but depending on the nature of the task, it
might not be that bad. (update an rss feed, publish some results, do some
cleanup of old session data or something)

-John

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Jesse <jesse.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> that would be a nice add-on
>
> here is a rather naive monitoring script (rake task) replace the
> 'TODO's as needed
> http://gist.github.com/343625
>
> I call this every 5 minutes via cron from my workstation, later I will
> probably install it on other machines that are outside of the Heroku
> and Amazon infrastructure so I can turn my workstation off at night :)
>

> On Mar 24, 8:02 pm, Jared Brown <jaredbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know that this topic has been discussed before.  As far as I can
> > tell the official response has been that apps are monitored internally
> > and that Heroku will know before anyone if apps are having issues
> > responding.  But not having a URL monitoring service offered as an add-
> > on seems like an oversight or at the least an easy way to appease some
> > users and cross an item off the list of reasons to choose
> > engineyard.com.
> >
> > Are there any plans to offer URL monitoring from external servers in
> > the future or to have this offered through a partner under add-ons?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Jared

-John