Side note - do people generally worry about backing up S3?

For instance, this week in the 37signals podcast they talked about having
55Tb stored on S3 - which I assume is not being backed up.
Is S3 considered one of those things that are probably reliable enough to
not worry about (i.e. you assume Amazon have that covered)