Its a good question, and one that you would want to ask of any platform you
plan to host on.

I just saw the heroku team at RailsConf, and they laid out some info that
was pretty interesting.

Here are my raw notes on their largest sites:

some of their bigger apps

   http://www.scvngr.com
        explosive growth
featured on major sites
 millions of users

   http://www.syphir.com
       rules and smart push for gmail to your phone
    anti-social, delay emails from facebook/twitter until the end of the
day, so I can get work done
they got huge spike in traffic
 spun up more dynos from the command line
brought them down ofter spike

   http://getcloudapp.com
   mac based, file sharing
shift cmd / enter takes screenshot
 pushes to cloudapp, heroku -> s3, short url, copies to clipboard
>4k req/min
 20% week over week growth
dedicated db

When you start to think about the performance of your application, there are
a few points I woud want to make:

   1. Scalability does not equal performance. While they are related, its
   possible to have a scalable app that is actually pretty slow (facebook
   doesn't feel all that fast to me, but it scales to handle its users). Heroku
   gives you a scalable platform, you tune your app to be as performant as
   possible, and spin up more dynos as needed. This lets you handle growth over
   time, or in bursts, in a balanced progressive way.
   2. What kind of performance issues do you expect? Heavy writes, mostly
   reads, lots of background processing, CPU intense activities, consistent
   usage or month-end spikes? Facebook and google are very different apps, with
   very different architectures, once an app gets to that size, I think the
   hosting solution becomes very custom.
   3. Heroku speeds up the development and deployment process, making it
   easier to get an app out and get critical feedback before the 'cement'
   dries. Its more important to launch a functional, but slow, application than
   to delay the launch or prematurely tune an app in the name of performance.
   (tune it once your users tell you which features they actually care about)

There is an overhead that is added by the heroku system, and it would be
interesting to see what impact it has. It might be as simple as having an
app deployed on two hosts, run some performance tests and see what the
differences are.

Has anyone done anything like this yet?

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Mike <mikel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember seeing discussions in the past where it was said that
> Heroku can scale to handle any site, and that there haven't been any
> sites yet that have left due to inability to scale.
>
> Is this to say that it is plausible that Heroku's platform could
> handle running the biggest applications on the Internet, such as a
> massive search engine (say, Google) or a massive social network (say,
> Facebook)?
>
> I can see why with the dyno system the scaling is effectively
> unlimited, but I'm a little concerned because with only one database
> server, it seems like it would be extremely difficult to handle
> database-heavy use cases.
>
> Are there any examples out there of really large and popular sites
> (especially those that are heavy on the database load) that are run on
> the Heroku platform?

-John