Hi Chris,

There is. I made a little proof using DJ that might give you some insight.

The code is on this branch:
http://github.com/pedro/delayed_job/commits/autoscaling

And instructions/notes are on the comments here:
http://github.com/pedro/delayed_job/commit/09d7657e1fc7d25072e6c5e73ede20d6e1185eac#commitcomment-58225