Thanks for replying.

Yes, taps is the latest version. Initially it wouldn't work because of
a known issue with Ruby 1.9.1 but it works fine when I used 1.8.7. The
taps version number is 0.3.9.

The database has 11 tables all of which were generated according to
Rails defaults and as such all have an integer primary key. I also
confirmed this through directly querying the database in postgres.

My database eventually uploaded overnight taking 8 hours (~0.5 kbps!).
After uploading my app didn't work so I suspect it didn't upload
properly (although I can't prove this). Perhaps I'll try Heroku
support directly.