I recommend using Resque w/ Resque Scheduler for this.

One of the major benefits is the web front end that Resque already has.

If your background tasks aren't going to happen very often then DJ
would be fine.

On Heroku I would just add an hourly cron that would put the jobs into
the DJ queue for the following hour.

- James