We just had a thread about a similar topic:
http://groups.google.com/group/heroku/t/1b012e631dd80e64

But this brings up another interesting question. How do you
programmatically set up the A/CNAME records for the domain, or even
point the nameservers to Zerigo?

Although I have not used it, NameCheap (my registrar of choice) has a
fairly complete API (http://developer.namecheap.com).

It looks like someone started an HTTParty wrapper for it (http://
github.com/hashrocket/namecheap), but right now all it does is query
availability of a domain name. You could fork it and implement the
functions you need.

Good luck, and let the rest of us know how it goes!

Phillip Ridlen
@philtr