I use a mongoexport >
mongoexport -h [host]:[port] -d [database] -u [user] -p [password] -c
[collection] -o [path, e.g. ~/tmp/mongoexport/export.json]

And a mongoimport >
mongoimport -h [host]:[port] -d [database] -u [user] -p [password] -c
[collection] --file [file, e.g. ~/tmp/mongoexport/export.json]

Replace the square brackets... Hope that helps.