Your database.yml is overwritten when you push to heroku.

http://docs.heroku.com/database#using-the-databaseurl-environment-variable-rails

<http://docs.heroku.com/database#using-the-databaseurl-environment-variable-rails>If
you want to use both the heroku provided DB and a 2nd DB (RDS for example),
you can reestablish a connection for the models on the other DB.

I put http://gist.github.com/568769 into lib, and then incldue it from any
models that I want accessing the 2nd DB.

Oren