I got it to work but I'm not sure if I will be able to live with it
long term.

I used tinymce_hammer plugin. I seems to generate the javascript on
the fly so I captured the resulting javascript and saved it in my
public/javascripts folder as 'tinymce.js'. Then instead of using <%=
init_tinymce_hammer_if_required %> which includes the javascript only
when needed, I included the 'tinymce.js' the traditional way.

This means every page will include the tinymce.js file but for now, it
works. If anybody has any suggestions to make this better, I'm still
interested.

Thanks,
George