It's interesting, after searching through the source of the gem,
there's a mongoid.yml in a generator that references the same env vars
for the db connection (MONGOID_HOST, MONGOID_PORT... etc), and yet I
don't see the gem creating these anywhere.  So I'm still confused as
to where these were generated.  It MUST be part of heroku in some
way... no?  maybe the mongohq addon?