In just manual testing my app, I've seen a fair number of timeouts
(maybe a dozen) but have not received any communication.  I am pretty
sure I'd have no idea they occurred had I not personally witnessed the
error page.  I find this a borderline "ship blocker" for a migration
to Heroku as I consider migrating a ~500K monthly page view app to
Heroku, and get very anxious thinking about lots of users seeing funky
error page and having no way of being alerted or knowing how prevalent
the issue is.

WRT to the timeouts, it's maybe 1% of requests that timeout...and I
still can't pin down why they're happening.  I'm on a single dyno,
with Koi, and < 5 alpha testers on it "concurrently" (and timeout
errors are related to response...not concurrency...) and these are
extremely simple paging requests, that according to New Relic, return
in ~100MS on average...and then all of a sudden...bam! - a request
timeout.  And we're talking about essentially the exact same code
path, except a different :offset in the ActiveRecord find call.  The
complexity is nothing along the lines of suggested timeout causes
here: http://docs.heroku.com/performance#request-timeout

Strangely, I just tried turning off all varnish level caching (which I
hope to rely on heavily) to try and isolate the issue and now perf
seems *more* consistent and faster (haven't seen a timout yet). Could
it be that the timeouts are being caused during lookup at the Varnish
layer? My understanding is this wouldn't be a possible explanation, as
I think the dyno doesn't even catch a request if the a varnish cache
hit is found.  So maybe Varnish caching is a red herring...but does
seem curious.

Matt