I believe I have read several times that cron and rake both time out
"eventually", and that very long running stuff should always get
processed by delayed job workers. This makes sense because you're
paying directly for your worker, as opposed to getting a free lunch
from Heroku for that 20 hour rake task.

I ran into trouble with rake tasks that took about 20 minutes or so. I
thought maybe the heroku gem was crashing, or I reached a memory
limit, or maybe just a hard time limit.

I first reduced the output to just a "." for each model I processed
instead of one line message. Some tasks that previously crashed were
able to complete, but the biggest rake task (most models to process)
still crashed. I replaced some of the active record model creation
with straight SQL, and the rake task was able to complete.

Next time I plan to go directly to delayed jobs and save all that
headache.