Do you mean that I can run a command something like :
"heroku rails plugin install <plugin location>"

or do you mean that I need to install the plugin on my local machine
and push it to heroku?

The plugin is installed on my local box and everything is working
fine. However when I pushed my repo to heroku, the app was not
responding as it was not able to recognize a helper method which gets
created as part of the plugin. Hence I tried to install the plugin on
heroku.