Thanks for your response Wes.

I need to do is have my Heroku apps with their own database and using
a different database with the engine

At the moment I am thinking of inheriting all my Engine's Models from
one abstract model with a establish_connection set to my engine's DB.
However I am not sure if that will work well with Heroku.

Does anyone know of any better approaches?