Sure.  We've got a big, ugly database that we are constantly slamming
data into (nearly constant appends on one table, with occasionally
purges.)  We'd like to increase the checkpoint segments to see if that
boosts write performance.

On the cache side, according to this website:

  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

"Setting effective_cache_size to 1/2 of total memory would be a normal
conservative setting, and 3/4 of memory is a more aggressive but still
reasonable amount."

Again, as near as I can tell, the default in Heroku is to set it to
200MB.  We are running a ronin database, which should have 1.7 Gigs of
RAM, giving 850MB to 1.3 GB of cache as the ideal, at least according
to that wiki entry.

Our goal is to extract maximum performance with minimum effort and bug
creation and, therefore, tweaking some postgres parameters would be an
ideal way to do so.  Let me know if you need any more details on our
use case.

Thanks!
Carson