It arguably does one better than supporting Ruby by supporting JRuby.

Charles Nutter has posted a blog entry on his initial experiences running
JRuby on Rails on Elastic Beanstalk:
http://blog.headius.com/2011/01/jruby-on-rails-on-amazon-elastic.html

It's early days for Elastic Beanstalk, but I imagine I'll feel more
comfortable with Heroku for a long time. Amazon allows you to fine-tune your
application with all kinds of configuration options, but Heroku "just
works". One deploys on Beanstalk right now by uploading a ".war" file. When
they offer more languages, perhaps they'll also offer "git push" deployment.

I'd like to use a Java graph database (Neo4j) for my application, and
Amazon's new offering permits me to build a domain-specific REST interface
(perhaps as a Sinatra application) in (J)Ruby running on Beanstalk and have
that communicate with low latency to my front-end Heroku application. I
think that's the best of two worlds.

Stephen