I have a Heroku Rails app. that I wanted to point to another DB (used by a different Heroku app.), so I forced it's DATABASE_URL to a specific value (I am aware that Heroku _officially_ doesn't guarantee that that DATABASE_URL changes out from under the app.).

This app. has a SHARED_DATABASE_URL value that is different from the value for DATABASE_URL.

I notice that when I use the "pgbackups" add-on to do a backup, the DATABASE_URL is getting backed up, which is what I want.

1) Does the SHARED_DATABASE_URL actually matter if my DATABASE_URL value is different?

2) Should I force the SHARED_DATABASE_URL value to be the same as my DATABASE_URL value?

3) Why does pgbackups back up the DATABASE_URL instead of the SHARED_DATABASE_URL?

Thanks,
Wes