Assume others on this list are mighty intrigued by this announcement:
http://aws.amazon.com/ses/

I've always thought sendgrid looked great, but way overpriced.
Amazon's offering looks far more small-site friendly.

A few points of discussion:
1) Does calling it from an app running on Heroku count as an EC2
instance?
The pricing page here: http://aws.amazon.com/ses/pricing/ includes the
following:
"If you are an Amazon EC2 user, you can get started with Amazon SES
for free. You can send 2,000 messages for free each day when you call
Amazon SES from an Amazon EC2 instance directly or through AWS Elastic
Beanstalk. Many applications are able to operate entirely within this
free tier limit."

My assumption is that this is based on IP so we'll be fine, but
curious if there's confirmation.

2) Any sign of a Ruby library?
Currently only .NET, Java and PHP wrappers.  All looks easy enough of
port...but just thought I'd check if anyone's already done so.