As I understand it from the many hundreds of deploys I've done over the last
year or so that everything cycles at once. The new app is built 'offline' and
then swapped in capistrano style.

If you weren't using MondoDB you would have to worry about the gap between a
slug being compiled and the migrations finishing.

Neil Middleton
http://about.me/neilmiddleton