Although the symptoms that you are seeing may not indicate it the two systems
are the same. There is a queue backlog, and the dynos pick up the next request
from that backlog when they become idle, as described here:
http://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/key-concepts-performance (esp the part
about backlog).

I've seen many instances on my applications which indicate this to be an
accurate description.

Although I have no real clue about the application you have regarding number of
dynos etc, it would appear that what you are seeing could be a different
problem.

Neil Middleton
http://about.me/neilmiddleton