not sure if this is what you are asking, but...
I usually do something like this for queries that I want to be case
insensitive

# force both to upper
:conditions => ['UPPER(email) = ?', params[:search][:email].upcase]

# use postgres ILIKE which is case insensitive
:conditions => ['email ILIKE ?', "%#{params[:search][:email]}%"]

that way I can leave the data alone

however this is not portable across all databases, there might be a
better way
- Jesse