Not sure what you mean by this. Varnish is an HTTP cache, it sits in
front of your dyno and only caches the responses that it sends - you
can't use it as a key-value store like memcached. When a request is
handled by varnish and doesn't even hit your app, that IS page
caching.

If you could write a bit more about what you're trying to do, we can
offer more guidance.