There are many ways of doing this.

Track page views with Google Analytics, and query every now and then
to get your top app list.  Will work with varnish.
Track page views in your app via a javascript post onload.  Will work
with varnish.
Track page views in your app.  Won't work with varnish.  Think about
action caching with memcache instead possibly.

ORen