Could be any number of things. On Heroku, your application is running in
"production" mode, not "development" mode, for greater speed, etc. And
Heroku uses PostgreSQL, which you may not be using locally.

Have you ran all database migrations on Heroku's side ("heroku rake:db
migrate")? Is your application coded to assume that there is data to
display, which you haven't yet "pushed" up to the server ("heroku db:push").

Your first port of call is to look at the logs ("heroku logs") to get a more
precise cause of the error:
http://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/logging

Stephen