Steve,

I am using a MySQL database for local development.  I have added the
restriction validates_length_of :billing_state, :is => 2, :message =>
"is restricted to two-letter State codes.", but that change isn't
pushed up to my live app yet.

To be clear, though, I'm not reproducing the error (either on the live
site or in local development), because I can't enter more than two
characters in the field, no matter if I'm manually typing in the
field, or using autofill to fill out the form with predefined data.

I don't understand how a user can do this.  That's my burning
question:  How can users input more characters than I can?  What
'trick' are they using that I don't know about?

Thanks again.