I would suggest using TinyTDS for the connection.

https://github.com/rails-sqlserver/tiny_tds
http://www.engineyard.com/blog/2011/modern-sql-server-rails/

As of the latest version, we support :host/:port options alleviating
the need for the freetds.conf file. If you are using the latest 0.91
(soon to be released) version of FreeTDS, then it supports encryption
for the connection using SSL, which TinyTDS supports as well.

About the only thing I can think of that would stop you from using
TinyTDS is if heroku supports it. They have a form to fill out to
request gems that have native extensions on their support site. Maybe
worth asking.

 - Ken