After more searching, I have finally come across this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4300240/rails-3-rake-task-cant-find-model-in-production
- which provided the hint that the problem is actually due to having
the production environment configured to be thread safe. Since the
cron would work prior to adding the registration/login/password
reminder, I was lead in the direction of Authlogic as the root of the
problem...

Now the question is: Should I not have the app configured to be thread
safe? or is the thread safe configuration combining w/ something else
to cause the cron problem?