The nginx docs here note that gzip_http_version defaults to 1.1:

http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpGzipModule#gzip_http_version

Which might explain the behavior on Heroku. And this blog post
mentions nginx config for using CloudFront, specifically setting
gzip_http_version to 1.0:

http://www.nomitor.com/blog/2010/11/10/gzip-support-for-amazon-web-services-cloudfront/

Rob