We normally send a SIGTERM, then wait five (ish?) seconds to let the last
request serve and then, then send SIGKILL if the process still hasn't gone
away.

You can confirm this behaviour here by catching and logging the SIGTERM in
your app and then reproducing the situation you describe. If you can provide
a test-case that shows you're not seeing expected behaviour (I use it
extensively in one of my test apps) I'll make a ticket gets filed against
the Runtime. Otherwise, maybe there's somewhere we can improve our
documentation here.

Regards,

Peter
Heroku