Benjamin,

I don't have any help for the internal server error, but you can definitely
set up the environment variables from your manually crafted Sendgrid account
on your app directly via heroku config:add. This will mask the old
credentials and get you back on your feet until you can track down what's
up. As to what do do with the "internal server error", I'd advise you to
open a support ticket.

-p