I'm looking for guidance around how to log what our Rails app is doing/
serving without the $100/mo. advanced logging add-on. Our Heroku
budget for this project is $40-$50/mo. and it won't get off the ground
if we have to go the advanced logging route.

I've tried to over-ride the logger but I'm only able to get one type
of log line:
Jun 01 00:24:00 fad57c73-0d88-44e1-9d98-868e4f3dfb9a thin: Started GET
"/?domain=www.word.com" for 76.126.250.15 at ..

I'm hoping to log basic things like the HTTP response code as well. I
followed Eric's guidance in the following thread but it appears that
I'm running into the same issue as Ivey is:
http://help.papertrailapp.com/discussions/questions/6-how-can-we-get-expanded-rails-logging-into-remotesysloglogger

Here's what I've included in my initializer file:

if ENV["SYSLOG_URL"]
require "remote_syslog_logger"
require "uri"

url = URI.parse(ENV["SYSLOG_URL"])

logger = RemoteSyslogLogger.new(url.host, url.port, :program =>
url.path[1..-1])
logger.level = Logger::DEBUG

Rails.logger = Rails.application.config.logger = logger
end

I'm using Papertrail but have rsyslogd available as well. Thanks for
the help in advance!