I've got a before hook in my Sinatra app:

before do
  if request.env['HTTP_HOST'] == "APP_NAME.heroku.com" ||
request.env['HTTP_HOST'] == "APP_NAME.com"
    redirect "http://www.APP_NAME.com#{request.fullpath}";, 301
  end
end

My rails knowledge is zero, but I'm guessing* you can write a before_filter
method in the ApplicationController to do something smiliar? Not sure if my
method is the best way either.

*I'm literally making this up.