On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Chris Hanks
<christopher.m.ha...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Huh. I remembered seeing somebody from Heroku say that they had their
> Varnish servers set up in a hash ring, which I thought would mean this
> kind of effect wouldn't happen, but I guess it does. It looks like
> they have 10 Varnish servers going - if I use Apache Benchmark to hit
> my server with 1000 simultaneous requests it hits my Rails app 10
> times before everything starts being served from Varnish.

This was their old setup. I don't know all the details, but with the hash
ring, if Varnish would crash your dyno would crash along with it--or at
least be inaccessible. Load balancing between several Varnish servers is
supposed to be much more resilient to individual Varnish instances dropping.

--
Larry Marburger
Homeopathic Code Remedyologist