I installed the new relic add on through the heroku site (not as a plugin or
via bundler), and its been working fine, but now I'd like to see the end
user monitoring feature they have, but it says I have to update the gem.

What is the best approach for this?

Technically I didn't setup the new_relic config file, heroku did that for
me. I realize I could uninstall the heroku add-on, install the gem via
bundler, and have it point to a new relic account outside of heroku, but
that seems odd to have to do that just to get the latest version of the gem.

I'm hoping there is just something I'm missing.

--
-John