On Aug 30, 7:24 am, Steve Smith <st...@scsworld.co.uk> wrote:
> It sounds like SNI just isn't the option for you. I know that browsers
> are catching up but when I last checked (about a month ago) Chrome and
> IE didn't support SNI because XP itself doesn't support SNI in it's TLS
> negotiation. I *think* firefox might work but you would have to try it.

I have tried FF on XP SP3, and it worked without presenting a
certificate warning.

> If your users are on kiosk systems do you have access to the kiosks
> themselves? Is there any way that you can pre-accept certificates such
> as the piggyback one?

I'm in the enviable position that I can dictate the browser choice.
However, that is only for low level users. Some of the admins may
login using IE. Though I would gander that most would be using
something newer than XP.

> Can you use the hostname based SSL or do you need
> users to be able to access the site from the custom domain directly?

Hostname is ok, but I have an absolute requirement that the client's
IP be passed to the Heroku app. Yes, this seems to work, but not 100%
(we have had periods of downtime where the IP is not passed). I was
hoping SNI would be a better choice.

In the end, I guess we can run with SNI for a while an see how it
works. Can always switch to hostname later.