This doesn't work on Cedar, where psql is not available. You can always
"SELECT version();" using your SQL interface of choice.

Speaking generally, the sandbox databases are 8.3, and the production
databases are 9.0. We hope to unify this soon, but the differences are
primarily that the older 8.3 databases are lacking some features found in
9.0.

-pvh