I'll say this again: I think that Heroku is making a mistake by mixing
the build and the deploy steps in java applications.  A lot of
applications are not built using maven, that don't have easily
resolvable dependencies, or that might rely on system-specific
resources.  Additionally, a lot of java shops aren't as comfortable
shipping source code out to third parties as the scripting language
communities are.

I feel we should be able to deploy wars/jars locally and deploy them
directly.  It is admittedly different than the rails approach, but it
fits the java development process much more naturally.

Cheers,
Carson