I do you have rack cache on your app? I recommend setting that up and using
memcache for the meta store. Also setting your expire headers on static assets
to a far future date. That should help with timeouts especially with static
assets. You can also try using a CDN but that is quite a bit more work for
sinatra https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/error-codes#h12__request_timeout

You can also consider increasing your dyno count. What web server are you
using?

--
Richard Schneeman
http://heroku.com