I don't think of it as heroku suggesting that you have to do it with a
CNAME, but Neil's post highlights why you might want to.

http://neilmiddleton.com/the-**dangers-of-a-records-and-**heroku<http://neilmiddleton.com/the-dangers-of-a-records-and-heroku/>

I think of it like apple including their 'time machine' backup software
means you'd buy a backup drive. They aren't saying you absolutely have to
do it, but its a good idea for a variety of reasons.

You can use an A record and the ip addresses, it will work fine, but if
there is an outage and they have to bring your app up on other IPs, you'll
at least have a heads up for what you can do about it.

Personally I like dnsimple.com, so I don't think of it as an extra thing I
have to do, but as an extra reason I like their service, like they are
helping me manage my app in a way that stays current with hosting on a
cloud solution like heroku, openshift, cloudbees, etc.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Justin Collum <jcol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So to use Heroku the way they'd like me to -- without an A record pointing
> to an IP address -- I'll have to use a third party paid service? What the
> heck. The fact that Heroku suggests doing this while the spec doesn't
> support it without workarounds makes me question how important it is. This
> DNS thing has been doing it the same way for quite some time.
>
> I think I'll just use the A record until we run into a problem. This app
> won't be hurt if it's offline for a half day.
>

> On Tuesday, April 3, 2012 1:49:43 AM UTC-7, Neil Middleton wrote:
>>
>> Ideally you want everything to be a CNAME of your Heroku URL (
>> app.herokuapp.com etc).  The problem is is that the DNS spec doesn't
>> allow the Apex domain to be CNAME'ed.  The solution is to use Zerigo or
>> DNSimple who provide workarounds.
>>
>> Full writeup here:  http://neilmiddleton.com/the-**
>> dangers-of-a-records-and-**heroku/<http://neilmiddleton.com/the-dangers-of-a-records-and-heroku/>
>>

>> Neil
>>
>> On Tuesday, 3 April 2012 at 01:24, Justin Collum wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I have an app that's set up at http://gentle-wind-0000.**
>> herokuapp.com/ <http://gentle-wind-0000.herokuapp.com/>. On my
>> hover.comaccount in the DNS I have two records:
>>
>> WWW CNAME
>> www.gentle-wind-0000.**herokuapp.com<http://www.gentle-wind-0000.herokuapp.com>
>>
>> URL CNAME gentle-wind-0000.herokuapp.com**   # (I'm not sure if this one
>> is right/valid)
>>
>> The app is browsable at gentle-wind-0000.herokuapp.com**, but the
>> redirected URL (http://myapp.com) is giving me this message:
>>
>> *    Heroku | No such app*
>>

>> So I'm confused about how I should be setting this up. Usually I just do
>> A records that point to an IP, but after reading the article on heroku
>> about that I decided that an A record was not a good idea. So I'd like to
>> set this up with a www domain and a top level domain that redirects to www.
>> How should I set up my CNAME records to achieve this?
>>

>> --
>>

>>   --
> heroku+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

Thanks,