If you run "sbt stage" on your project it will copy all of the deps to the target/staged dir. For a Java Play 2 project that dir is 32MB for me. I'm not sure what else could be taking up 18MB. But your 49MB isn't too far off of the base Play 2 deps. Maybe there are more copies of deps laying around somewhere.

-James