A bit of background as to what is going on here might be helpful.

When you push your code into Heroku a set of machines will take that code
and compile it into a slug.  This slug is what is deployed to the dynos
when required.  Due to a few reasons, these slug compilers are not aware of
the application environment - this only comes into play when the slug meets
the dyno.  So therefore, when asset sync is trying to access your
environment during the build process (which the buildpacks control if
you've seen them) then it doesn't find anything.

Now, there's a couple of options round this.  Firstly, you can run `heroku
run rake assets:precompile` once you're up and deployed.  All rake tasks
have access to your environment so this will run just fine.  Secondly, you
can use the user-env-compile plugin that Daniel mentioned, but be aware
this is beta so could be changed/yanked at any time.  A third option is as
Richard suggests (although only applies if using cloudfront) and let
Cloudfront pull the files from your dynos first time their needed and not
use asset sync at all.  I guess it all depends on what your needs are.

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM, brianthecoder <wbsmit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I followed the guide here
> https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/cdn-asset-host-rails31, but for
> some reason, during the assets:precompile rake task. Its not picking up any
> of my environment variables. I even added a line to inspect the environment
> variables in the asset_sync initalizer, and none of the environment
> variables I have configured were in there. Am I missing something?

Neil