Hi Mike

I have ImageMagick running on Heroku for my website. Only admins can post
images, and it can take over a dyno, so it's not a perfect solution. I use
it with Mark Evans' excellent Rack-based Dragonfly gem that scales my
images on the fly.

Details for setting up Dragonfly on Heroku-based applications is here:
http://markevans.github.com/dragonfly/file.Heroku.html

I simply reference the Dragonfly gem in my Gemfile, and there's no mention
of ImageMagic (or similar) in my Gemfile.lock file, so I guess in
development it just uses the Homebrew-installed version on my MacBook and
Heroku's own pre-installed ImageMagic in production.

I do reference ImageMagic in my configuration settings for Dragonfly in my
Initializers directory, instructions here:
http://markevans.github.com/dragonfly/file.ImageMagick.html

For alternatives, there are two "image processing in the cloud" add-ons for
Heroku, Blitline and Cloudinary. And some other online services too.

But I've been pretty happy with Dragonfly and how I can easily copy down my
originally-formatted images from Amazon S3 to my laptop and still display
them in development mode when I'm offline and demonstrating my website.

I think Dragonfly, Blitline and Cloudinary all have documention for dealing
with images that are already in S3.

Stephen