My monthly billing statement is what tipped me off to the problem, but
unfortunately my logs don't go back to Oct. 30.  I have verified that in
the past week my scheduled tasks are running in less than a second, at 10
minute intervals.  The fact that 3 separate codebases across 2 different
user accounts have the same spike on the same day is what made me think
this wasn't something I was doing wrong.

I hadn't thought to set a max execution time for my scheduled processes
though, and i'm going to do that going forward.  Great suggestion.