Thanks, Daniel.   I did send a support ticket and they reported back (after I
reached out to this forum) that my Postgres host was having chronic OOM errors.
The appropriate action was to migrate the database to another host (via
follow/promote since it's a Crane instance).

---
"Heroku Community" group.
to heroku+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.