Vinay, you are correct, but I had a different point I wasn't clear
about.

Let's use data, from the ASTM E84 test method.

Thermax HD
Flame spread          20
Smoke                 80

Thermax
Flame spread          25
Smoke                 <450

Tuff-R
Flame spread          75
Smoke                 450

Mineral and Fiber board
Flame spread          0
Smoke                 5

Your statements imply that Thermax HD is, to use my phrase, bomb proof. 
It is not.  For max fire resistance we would need concrete or steel.  I
use Thermax non-HD, so I cannot claim I have a fire-resistant structure,
although I could use the fig leaf that it is better than Tuff-R.  The
point is, nothing is totally fire resistant for the application:
temporary structures that are easily transported.  THERE IS FIRE RISK ON
THE PLAYA. I choose to take that risk with my eyes open.  I also have a
fire extinguisher and a transceiver tuned to the MURS 911 frequency used
at BM.

Bill

> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: [hexayurt] Re: Hexayurt/Pentayurt Hexacomb metal truss etc
> From: Vinay <[email protected]>
> Date: Wed, February 10, 2010 12:55 am
> To: [email protected]
> 
> 
> Bill, last time I checked, Thermax HD had a proper fire rating for
> exposed use - i.e. Thermax HD naked to the air - while Tuff-R etc are
> only rated for use behind sheetrock.
> 
> It really does make a substantial difference to flame spread etc. The
> fire test standards for building materials are rigorous, and we ignore
> them at our peril.
> 
> Vinay
> 
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Bill Wiltschko <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I hate to disagree with the founder, but Thermax HD is not significantly
> > more fire-resistant than other foam panels.  I researched the subject
> > before I bought my Thermax (non-HD) panels.  The problem is, if the foil
> > is breached anywhere (edges, windows, rips and tears, holes for wires,
> > air, etc) the foam is vulnerable.  And the foil WILL be breached.
> > Second, the foil isn't impregnable, as I learned when I used a heat gun
> > to remove the tape.  If I remember correctly (please post corrections),
> > Thermax HD's fire rating is 25, while some foam panels are higher.  The
> > standard is a wood panel at 100.  Problem is, 25 isn't that good.
> >
> > Notice I said I bought the panels anyway.  I've set my HY up at BM two
> > years.  First, the HD version of Thermax isn't available anywhere.  Two,
> > having worked in 911 dispatch for the last ten years, I haven't heard of
> > a tent fire, although I wouldn't be surprised if we've had some.  Three,
> > Black Rock City has more fire people per capita than any city or town in
> > the US, with two or more large tankers and two or more smaller trucks on
> > duty 24/7.  While it's true our HY's aren't bomb-proof, they're good
> > enough for the application and situation.
> >
> > YMMV
> >
> > Bill
> >> -------- Original Message --------
> >> Subject: Re: [hexayurt] Re: Hexayurt/Pentayurt Hexacomb metal truss etc
> >> From: Vinay <[email protected]>
> >> Date: Tue, February 09, 2010 12:42 pm
> >> To: [email protected]
> >>
> >>
> >> Two words: THERMAX HD.
> >>
> >> Fire rated.
> >>
> >> Tough as nails.
> >>
> >> Basically the common polyiso material, but with a coke-can thickness
> >> of metal on both sides.
> >>
> >> Yes, I know Dow are not being helpful, but getting this material
> >> moving - $20 a sheet or something - is absolutely the way to put
> >> effort and energy if people want the best possible hexayurts this
> >> Burning Man.
> >>
> >> Vinay
> >>
> >> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Brian <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> > On Feb 9, 1:54 pm, Chris Phoenix <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> >> Why are space blankets a no-no?
> >> >
> >> > Because they're made of mylar and mylar, being mainly a plastic,
> >> > burns.
> >> > The MSDS is here:
> >> > http://msds.dupont.com/msds/pdfs/EN/PEN_09004a2f8002e2ed.pdf
> >> >
> >> > While not exactly "ka-blooey" kind of burns, it is made of polyester
> >> > and will melt and sputter and make nasty gasses which you do not want
> >> > to be breathing in.
> >> >
> >> >> > 7. What about pentayurts? Seems more stable, no?
> >> >
> >> > From my models, the roofs are significantly more stable, but may need
> >> > to be secured to the ground in use if made from light materials.  The
> >> > roof of a Pentayurt *may* need additional support to bear heavier snow
> >> > loads, but overall seems extremely solid.
> >> >
> >> > NB: This is all from a model 1/12 scale.  I have not yet tried
> >> > building one full sized.  Yet.
> >> >
> >> >> > basically I suggest we take all the recent discussions on materials,
> >> >> > supplies, designs, windows, air conditioners, guywires, etc, and work
> >> >> > on an updated faq.
> >> >
> >> > Excellent idea.
> >> >
> >> > I'd also like to propose some additions to the FAQ/Hexayurt site on
> >> > Appropedia:
> >> > 1. A Consolidated "instruction sheet" in PDF format which puts all the
> >> > info that is up there into a brief (1-3 pp) instruction sheet.
> >> > 2. A label for completed Hexayurts similar to 
> >> > http://www.appropedia.org/File:HYPanel2pic.PNG
> >> > but incorporating a "No Flames" sign.
> >> > Basically, with 1 & 2, I'm thinking about a small, pictorial info
> >> > packet which can be sent with building materials to show people how to
> >> > build the structures they need and including a sign people can post on
> >> > the entrance of their yurt.
> >> >
> >> > Just a thought.
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Brian
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
> >> > Groups "hexayurt" group.
> >> > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> >> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> >> > [email protected].
> >> > For more options, visit this group at 
> >> > http://groups.google.com/group/hexayurt?hl=en.
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vinay Gupta
> >> Free Science and Engineering in the Global Public Interest
> >>
> >> http://guptaoption.com/map - social project connection map
> >>
> >> http://hexayurt.com - free/open next generation human sheltering
> >> http://hexayurt.com/plan - the whole systems, big picture vision
> >>
> >> http://bit.ly/flucode - please follow the Flu Code
> >> if you are in a flu-effected area. It protects us all.
> >>
> >> Gizmo Project VOIP : (USA) 775-743-1851
> >> Skype/Gizmo/Gtalk/AIM: hexayurt
> >> Twitter: @hexayurt http://twitter.com/hexayurt
> >> UK Cell : +44 (0) 795 425 3533 / USA VOIP (+1) 775-743-1851
> >>
> >> "If it doesn't fit, force it."
> >>
> >> --
> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> >> "hexayurt" group.
> >> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> >> [email protected].
> >> For more options, visit this group at 
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/hexayurt?hl=en.
> >
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> > "hexayurt" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> > [email protected].
> > For more options, visit this group at 
> > http://groups.google.com/group/hexayurt?hl=en.
> >
> >
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Vinay Gupta
> Free Science and Engineering in the Global Public Interest
> 
> http://guptaoption.com/map - social project connection map
> 
> http://hexayurt.com - free/open next generation human sheltering
> http://hexayurt.com/plan - the whole systems, big picture vision
> 
> http://bit.ly/flucode - please follow the Flu Code
> if you are in a flu-effected area. It protects us all.
> 
> Gizmo Project VOIP : (USA) 775-743-1851
> Skype/Gizmo/Gtalk/AIM: hexayurt
> Twitter: @hexayurt http://twitter.com/hexayurt
> UK Cell : +44 (0) 795 425 3533 / USA VOIP (+1) 775-743-1851
> 
> "If it doesn't fit, force it."
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "hexayurt" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/hexayurt?hl=en.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"hexayurt" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/hexayurt?hl=en.

Reply via email to